Contact Info

Cemetery Commission
37 Main Street
Charlton, MA 01507
P: 508-248-2208
F: 508-248-2392
Email

Office Hours

Mon - Thu
7:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Fri
7:00 AM - 3:00 PM at Westridge Cemetery Garage

Meetings

1st Monday of the month at 4:30 in the lower level meeting room at Town Hall

Agenda - May 1, 4 PM

Minutes

Cemetery Commission Directory

Staff
James Burlingame
Cemetery Superintendent
508-294-7296 (cell)

Elected Board Members
Kristen Russell-May
Chair
Donna Neylon
Clerk
Jason Sciarappa
Member
Cemetery Commission

The Cemetery Department lays out cemetery plots and sales of same, maintains 9 cemeteries, serves funeral homes for burials, and installs monuments.

Notice: Spring Cleanup
The Charlton Cemetery Department will begin its annual Spring cleanup on Monday, April 3, 2017. All flower pots and all decorations must be removed before this date. Any items left behind will be removed and discarded by Cemetery Department personnel. Seasonal items may be replaced on lots after April 17, 2017.

Cemeteries Maintained by the Cemetery Commission: Other Charlton Cemeteries:
Cemetery Information and Photos:

Below you will find information on most of the cemeteries in Charlton. For a unique insight into Charlton's first settlers and residents, read the "Cemeteries." chapter from Reverend Anson Titus's book written for the 1875 Centennial. Other information was taken from the individual cemetery signs. Also included below are driving directions and burial information for each cemetery. Additional information on the rest of the cemeteries will be added as it becomes available.

Barefoot Cemetery aka Putney Yard

This yard is generally known as Barefoot Corner cemetery, and is in school district No. 10. The original owner of the land was Jonathan Putney, who gave the right of burial to his several neighbors, using it also for his own family. Mr. Putney died in 1814; the estate was then divided, the homestead falling to Mrs. Jacob Miller, who a few years after the death of Mr. Miller (1817) married George West. The Putneys, the Millers, the Wests and Searles are buried here, and are in one way and another relations of each other. The oldest marked grave is 1807. There are nearly on hundred graves yet only about fifty of them have headstones.

The above text is an excerpt from a compilation of Charlton Cemeteries by Reverend Anson Titus. Read more...

Barefoot Cemetery Index:
Alpha Listing by Surname
Bay Path Cemetery

Established in 1764, part of this cemetery was given by Ebenezer Mackintire. It was expanded in 1812. The remains of many of Charlton's noble citizens are buried here, including Boston Tea Party participant, John Spurr; spiritualist, Hiram Marble and John Capen Adams, mountain man known as Grizzly Adams. Read more...
Blood Cemetery

Blood Cemetery is about 1 acre in size and if surrounded on 4 sides by field stone walls. Blood Cemetery (aka Dresser Hill Public Yard) contains many stones markers that have no markings. Some of the stone markers have worn with age or in need of cleaning, making them not legible. There are many burials that have no markers and some are listed here as “open lots”.

Blood Cemetery Index:
Alpha Listing by Surname
Cranberry Meadow Cemetery

The earliest burial here dates back to 1813. This burial yard was established by the nearby residents of Charlton and Spencer. Here are buried, among others, Esther Humphreys, a Pegan Indian and Nancy Ransom, a free black murdered by her husband in 1850. The town acquired this private cemetery in 1926. An addition was added in 2001. Read more...

Cranberry Meadow Cemetery Index:
Alpha Listing by Surname
Depot Cemetery

On this land are buried five members of the Towne family, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Williams and their daughter Polly. The town acquired the enclosed burial yard in 1860 from the Hammond family and additional adjacent land for burial purposes in 1996 from Oliver Howlett. Read more...
Capt. Jesse Smith Yard

This yard was formerly a part of the Jesse Smith property now owned by Wm. D. Warren, and is a few rods from the highway leading to Rochdale, near the junction of the road leading to Mr. Warren's house. Capt. Smith gave the yard to the town in 1826, not long before he died. Mr. Smith died June 21, 1826, aged 68 years, and his widow died in 1848. Capt. Smith was a soldier of the revolution. Their remains together with the remains of hi s mother are within a well sealed tomb upon this land. At a former time there were many burials here, but one after another the bodies have been removed so that now but a few remain, and some of these are soon to be removed. The poor of the town whose remains are unclaimed by the relatives have been buried in one portion of the yard, since it came in possession of the land.

The above text is an excerpt from a compilation of Charlton Cemeteries by Reverend Anson Titus. Read more...

Capt. Jesse Smith Yard Index:
Alpha Listing by Surname
Northside Cemetery

The first marked burial here was in 1757. The remains of many of the first settlers of the lands called "County Gore" lie buried here. The cemetery was enlarged in 1868 and again in 1964. The Georgie H. Camp Memorial Chapel was built in 1931 and contains the graves of Georgie H. Camp and his mother, Lilla Gould Camp. Read more...

Northside Cemetery Index:
Alpha Listing by Surname
Tucker Cemetery

This burial place is on the Spencer road leading north from Millward school house some ten rods from the highway. In this yard there are but two graves, one in memory of Mrs. Martha, wife of Capt. Jonathan Tucker, who died Nov. 23, 1774, aged 64 years. Nearby is that of Capt. Tucker, though there is no marked headstone. The flat is surrounded by a wall with two pine trees within it. Capt. Tucker was a man or prominence in town. He was chairman of the selectmen for some years after that section called the "gore" was definitely fixed to the town.

The above text is an excerpt from a compilation of Charlton Cemeteries by Reverend Anson Titus. Note that the cemetery is actually ten rods=165 ft. from Smith Road going from Northside. Read more...
Union Cemetery

Established in 1856 on land bought of Nahan Walker by twenty-eight citizens. The tomb was given by Horace Prince in 1859. The Methodist Church was largely connected with this cemetery until acquired by the town in 1956. Read more...

Union Cemetery Indexes:
Map
Driving Directions
Alpha Listing by Surname
West Ridge Cemetery

West Ridge Cemetery Indexes:
Map
Driving Directions
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames A
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames B
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames C
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames D
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames E
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames F
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames G
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames H
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames I, J, K
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames L
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames M
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames N, O, P, Q
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames R
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames S
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames T
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames U, V, X, Y, Z
Sections A, B, C, D, E Surnames W
Announcements

Cemetery Lot Prices, Policies and Services (effective 1/1/16)

Please be advised that groups that use the Municipal Recreation Fields that are between the Library and the Westridge Cemetery that parking within the CEMETERY is NOT allowed and individuals who do park there may have their vehicles ticketed or towed.

Forms and Documents FAQs Links