Business Certificates

MA General Law Chapter 110 Section 5 states that anyone doing business under a name other than their own is required to file a DBA (doing business as) certificate in the town in which the business is located.

Before applying for a DBA with the Town Clerk, please complete and submit this FORM to the Building/Zoning Department. Forms can be emailed to or submitted in person.  For your protection, the Zoning Enforcement Officer (ZEO) will sign off on your request to ensure your business is allowed to operate under the town's zoning bylaws. The Building Department can be reached at 508-248-2241.

Once approval by the ZEO is received, the business owner, and any other person that signs the accounts for the business, needs to appear in person at the Town Clerk's office to complete and sign the business certificate.  Photo ID Is required. Alternatively, you may complete the business certificate and have it notarized if you are unable to physically appear before the clerk.

Certificates are valid for 4 years. There is a $20.00 fee paid by cash or check, payable to Town of Charlton.