Marriage Licenses / Certificates
View information below on how to obtain a marriage license or marriage certificate in Charlton.
- The couple must appear together in person at the Town Clerk’s Office.
- It is not necessary to make an appointment.
- Proof of age is required; you must be 18 years of age or older. Accepted forms of ID are: driver's license or state ID, birth certificate, passport or other document as defined by MGL Ch 207, Sec 33A.
- There are three forms that must be completed (Notice of Intention of Marriage, Marriage Worksheet, Supplement to Notice of Intention of Marriage).
- There is a $10 filing fee (cash or check payable to the Town of Charlton).
- The license is good for 60 days from the date filed (if you are not married within 60 days, the license is null and void).
- There is a three-day hold on the Notice of Intention of Marriage before the marriage license can be picked up. Please keep in mind that the Town Hall is closed on Fridays.
- Under certain circumstances, a couple may ask to have the three-day hold waived by filing a request for a Marriage Without Delay with the probate or district court.
- If either person was previously married, this relationship must be legally dissolved (meaning your divorce or annulment must be final) before applying for a marriage license in Massachusetts. CLICK HERE for more information.
- Please note that Massachusetts no longer requires blood tests for marriage.
- LEGAL IMPEDIMENTS TO MARRIAGE
Who can legally conduct my wedding ceremony in Massachusetts?
- Justice of the Peace (In State): Click HERE for more information
- Justice of the Peace (Out-of-State): Click HERE for more information
- Clergy member (In State): Click HERE for more information
- Clergy member (Out-of-State): Click HERE for more information
- Family member/Friend: Click HERE for more information
Certified copies of Marriage Certificates may be obtained by calling in advance or stopping into the Town Clerk’s Office. There is a $5 fee payable by cash or check, made out to the Town of Charlton. Alternatively, you may pay online through UniPay and have the certificate/s mailed to you.