Obtain a Permit
Open-Air Burn Permit
View the following documents to find out how to obtain an open-air burn permit:
- Burn Permits are available at Charlton Fire Headquarters, 10 Power Station Road between the hours of 9am - 5pm from January 15, 2020 through April 30, 2020. Fee - $20.00, Cash or Check, made payable to "Town of Charlton".
- Massachusetts DEP Information on Open Burning
Propane Storage Tank Permit
- Obtain a Propane Storage Tank Permit (PDF)
- See Permit Fee Schedule above to determine appropriate fee for total gallons of tank.
Oil Burning Equipment Install
Find the applications for Oil Burning:
- Form 1 Permit Application (PDF) (Installation or Alteration of Fuel Oil Burning Equipment or Storage of Fuel Oil)
- Form 1A Permit Application (PDF) (Fuel Supply Line Certificate of Compliance)
Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Certificates
In the state of Massachusetts a smoke and carbon monoxide detection certificate is required upon sale or transfer of residential property. View a guide to the Massachusetts Smoke and CO Requirements.
In addition to these requirements, it is required to have the house number mounted and clearly visible on a contrasting colored background on the home. If the number is not visible from the road, then a number must also be mounted at the end of the driveway, typically on the mailbox. There is a $50 Fee for the certificate and a check can be made payable to the “Town of Charlton.” Further questions, can be directed to the Fire Inspector at 508-248-2278.