Dresser Hill Public Yard
This yard is one of the oldest in the town. Through the thoughtfulness of an older citizen we are permitted to know the exact date of its beginning as a repose for the dead. The first grave was that of James, a young son of Lieut. John Dresser who died in May, 1745. Lieut. Dresser gave the right of burial in this lot to his neighbors. The stone which is placed at the head of the first grave was placed by one Aaron Dresser, a great grandson of the original donor, who knew the place of burial and the date. He was a man of historical turn of mind, and bore in mind many reminiscences which he received from those older. This yard, however, has never been private property until 1868 when George Thompson gave a deed of it to the town and right of way to the highway, in consideration that the town would maintain the fence and two gates leading to it. Prior to 1868 it was in the deed of the farm now owned by George Thompson though with a reservation that it was to be used as a public burial place, and that the owner was permitted to now the grass, or pasture the same with sheep, or such stock as would not deface the premises. This yard comprises an acre of ground. It was an excellent labor in Mr. Thompson to deed it to the town, and the community at large have many thanks to give Mr. Thompson for the manner in which the yard has been kept for some forty years. The land is in good repair, it is pleasantly situated, though it may be inconvenient to reach. It contains 160 head stones, but there are many more burials. This yard is the resting place of many of the pioneer of the town in that vicinity. In this yard are buried the Dressers, the Bloods, the Chamberlans, the Cleavlands, the Conants, the Clemences and Fessendons, and many others of less numerous families. Many who are buried here had an extensive influence in the early affairs of our town, and to them we own much for their energy and zeal in preparing the way for us.
Capt. Richard Dresser, the "District clerk" (Town) for some years at the formation of the town, died August 27, 1797 at aged 82 years-Lieut. John Dresser the owner of the ground died January 24, 1789 aged 73. By the records of the town we learn that John Dresser Jr. was chosen "grave digger for the South burial place" March 7, 1770. Also at the town meeting held April 14, 1808, Moses Dresser Jr. was voted sexton for the South burial place.
Source: Reverend Anson Titus compiled for the 1875 Centennial